Writography: The Conflict


Hands balled into fists, I watch my knuckles become bleached white. She laughs at my feeble attempts and then draws circles around me. Every day, whether its just for five minutes or an hour, we fight. I am in a complicated relationship with my pen. Sometimes I want to end everything, yet she has a gravitational pull.

She mocks me. My syntax she does not appreciate. My verb choices are apparently odd and my word choice seems inappropriate. Some days the disconnect between us creates intense frustrations on both ends. I watch as she sometimes spills ink all over the words I poured my mind into. Yet, I cannot walk away because beyond the conflict there is immense satisfaction in writing.

So usually I sigh and the two of us get back to work. The subjects, verbs, adverbs, adjectives, determiners, and articles all work together to create sentences. Those sentences become paragraphs. The paragraphs become big ideas or narratives. As most inexperienced writers [like me] know, writing is difficult. The self-deprecation you heap upon yourself when reading your work is immense. Yet you feel driven to continue turning your abstract observations in to tangible words. You ask yourself, "Does this matter?" "Will readers understand why I'm even writing this?" "Does anyone even read these words?" Yet, you can only perfect your writing through...writing. You sit. You edit. You think. In fact, the best way to also understand your writing is to upon yourself up and become vulnerable. Let other eyes see your words.

The name of this blog is Amelioration. This word is defined as " the act of making something better" or in a simple word, improvement. Each second ticking on our clocks is a new opportunity for improvement. We all have this desire to perfect our passions and this blog is dedicated to inspiring you to do so. Whether these ramblings or stories encourage or inspire you, the greatest hope I have for you,dear reader, is that it invokes your passions, strikes your fancies, or at least causes you to think.

This blog is coming from a college student in her twenties who is certainly experiencing her own amelioration process. Upon contemplating how I believe this process can be inspired I came up with a list of five ways. These tips are for the writer, singer, composer, athlete, or basically any living and breathing human.

1. Love other people furiously and become the change
2. Take time to think and as some say "soul-search"
3. Discover your passion and then boldly pursue it
4. Take time to be thankful
5. View failure as a gift; it shows you how to improve better than success

Dear reader, scan these five methods and consider them. After all, this very minute is your chance to undergo your own amelioration journey.

Comments

Popular Posts