A Poison Apple and Comfort Walk Into Your Room

Temptation is not always the poisonous apple we make it out to be.

                After a long day, I’m on my bunk bed staring at the ceiling in the dark. Sleep would be a welcome gift, but suddenly a voice as clear as a radio in a car chatters away like an extrovert at a party. The voice in my head does not stop. Literally realizing that I need to write this down in order to ever even remember, I grab my phone.

                Cringing I look at a bright phone screen and try to write at the speed of the voice with my fat fingers. In the end, the story played out as such:

                Temptation isn't always the obvious poisonous apple we make it to be. Worse than that apple melting on the table in the light of day is that bed in the corner. That soft bed in the corner encourages you to lie down and slumber away your time, ambitions, and opportunities. Comfort (of an apathetic nature) is the real danger we face. Just because you say no to the blatant temptation doesn't mean that the other one won’t quietly steal alongside you.

                Routine. Sometimes this word makes us shudder with distaste (or maybe just me). Sometimes when we’re caught in a long routine we go into automatic mode. Routine can become comfortable. Yes, you're still surviving day-to-day but when you’re in this mode you’re not really living. You turn inward, you focus on yourself, and you distance yourself from others. One morning you wake up kind of lethargic and throughout the day you live for yourself. 

                And yes, I understand that sometimes we feel so overwhelmed that we long for the escape that comfort offers. Yet, when you feel overwhelmed, stop. Take a moment and realize that if you have shelter and food, details are not a life-and-death situation. Do your best to complete your commitments well, but kill your unhealthy inner perfectionist. You will fail, and the sooner you embrace that fact the better. 

                I guess my brain was being my own prince and waking me up. Becoming a passive partaker of the world around me adds no quality to life. So here is to living a more purposeful life of accepting uncomfortable opportunities and fighting for new ambitions. Here is to killing my inner perfectionist and putting boundaries between me and the tasks I have to complete. At the end of the day, those tasks won't be important in twenty years. 

                Dear reader, go and roam. Wake up and walk. Shroud your passive routine of comfort and become as green as the grass will be in springtime. Shrug off your burdens; you're carrying them as a result of a choice. 


                

Popular Posts